Monday, June 30, 2008

M I L K

I Drank Milk Today. I don't usually do that. Drink Milk that is. But today, it was wonderful! Our morning was drenched in the usual tasks of tasking my children to get their responsibilities finished-- "as soon as possible, if you please, so we can move on with our day." And it was at this point that all things usual and all things unusual-for good or bad-began to change. Upon the "getting dressed" moment of their jobs, Max chose to be a Horse and Addie, his Princess. The latter is actually quite common, but the events that followed were quite remarkable-just like a cold glass of Milk after a hot and yummy cinnamon roll. Now that is precisely what followed. I managed the children from job to job until their tummies were "hungwry" and it was indeed time for snacking. Then we made cinnamon rolls. They were glorious. The dough perfect. My helpers excited and messy and completely engrosed in feeling and playing with their own dough. And I started to feel wonderful. After the dough was set aside to rise, I resorted to the piano. Now understand our piano is the only place to sit in our very bare livingroom, nonetheless I do love to sit there. Addie on the other hand usually does not and I am often met with protests and squeals. But today she wanted to dance. And my Horse, Max, wanted to ride. They danced and played. Max became the Hunter and Addie transformed into either a Wolf or a Monster. I played only the fast songs they love to run to: Peter and the Wolf, Sabre Dance and my favorite, Goliwog's Cake Walk. In the end the Hunter won and Addie turned back into a Princess. Then I too, turned into a princess. All it takes is a little "bibity-bobity-boo" and an imaginary wand in the hand of 2 1/2 year old little girl, you know. We sang "the sleeping beauty song" and changed into many different princesses on our bare wood floor. I checked the dough and sent my Hunter and Princess off to imagine some more. Soon enough my Hunter/Horse and Princess/Monster had become Robin and Batman and I sent them away again to capture the "bad guys". By this time tummies were beyond "hungwry" and my girly Batman who had changed again into all pink was overly tired. She went to sleep. Max--who was now officially "my Max" came to help put the cinnamon rolls together. We got gooy and sugary and hungrier and happier. I used a particularly rich cinnamon and put almond extract in the frosting. We waited with legos and Dora Dominos until the rolls were ready to be consumed. And consumed they were! Warm, Soft, Lovely Cinnamon Rolls. It was divine. We ate until no more could be stuffed into us. Then we drank Milk. Cold, Creamy, Wonderous Milk.

I think I ought to drink it more often.

4 comments:

jennie said...

Mmmmmmm....sounds like deliciously adventurous buns!

love you!

Torrie Young said...

I think I would have fallen asleep with your princess; that was quite an adventure. Yummy, yummy, yum...

Jaime said...

I'm hungwry just reading this...hot cinnamon rolls and a live concert? Too spoiled. Put those kids back to work!!

Katrina said...

Vanessa! I saw the link to your blog on Jaime's site. How are you guys doing?? Hey, did you hear that Keith's brother Kyle ended up marrying Lindsey Fairbanks? Yep, she is my new sister-in-law, and they live here in Lake Stevens and are in our same ward. Crazy, small world, eh?