Monday, August 18, 2008

Expectations

I just turned 30. And I'm not sure at which point in my life that my expectations about turning 30 arose. In fact, I felt certain that I would avoid any concerns or mis-concerns about this birthday altogether. However, I knew I was in for it when I turned 29 and consciously visited the idea that this would be my last year in my 20s! Oh, the agony that I made myself suffer. Oh, the dread of feeling old. Oh, the reality of mortality. And oh, what have I done with the past 30 years and what will I accomplish in the next. . . My life is most certainly over. . . Though I cannot actually answer any of these thoughts with a legitimacy I find worthy of writing, I can say that turning 30 wasn't so bad! I didn't gain 50 lbs over night. I didn't break out into lines all over my cheeks and I actually did smile for a lot of really good reasons. Even though I tried to disappear all morning long, and consequently forced my family to leave me messages (to which I absolutely cherish and am now so thankful they are recorded), I did venture out to a park with a good friend who brought a gift and allowed my children a lot of fun for a morning. Upon returning home I sulked for a couple hours until Max in desperation needed me to open my gift. It was perfect. A book. Persuasion by Jane Austen. Not only is this my Jane Austen summer and that I just picked up Persuasion from the library, but this book is about blossoming a little later in life. What a perfect start. After I cried and thanked my friend and Max sat in bewilderment that I would cry over a gift I said made me so happy, I picked myself up and realized that Hey, this is a great day! It's the day I was born and if I created an expectation to only cause discouragement, then I better learn something quickly and start to act my age! I did. And the day only became better and better. Max caught on quickly as to what was happening and brought me a fantastic picture and a wad of cut up string. He declared, "Mom, I made you a birthday gift. A picture, and your own string so you can make your own spider web!" Then with the end of the work day Mike treated me to a fantastic date including, a stroll down Park Ave, great spontaneous dinner, another blessed book, lots of laughter, more surprises and calls from family and friends and the only thing I ever suffered was a sick stomach from all the cake and fun. In the end, the best thing that happened that I far from ever expected was a tremendous amount of relief. It brought an excitement which I never thought would happen and a profound depth of gratitude that I was born and get to yet have a chance at a little more life. And if with that extra life I am blessed with inches or lines I am confident that they will only be evidence of a life well lived. And that's exactly what I expect to do. LIVE

9 comments:

Jaime said...

Turning 30 three weeks from today! You gave some hope, girl! Some tears and lots of laughter sounds just like I planned it might go. Perfect. And btw, you don't look 30 or have even slightly-kind-of-berly wrinkles, you have the kind of skin only the celebs have - beautiful and if you want to see what a wrinkle really looks like you can go look at pics of me on the blog! :)

D Michael said...

Oh, right Jaime, wrinkles on you? It's a good thing we are most critical of ourselves and our friends are the kindest...thanks for being that kind of friend! You rock! This is why I like hanging around you. But while we're at it, you must have either microscopic eyesight on your own pictures and really bad eyesight on mine, which ever it is thanks for being kind. Hope you enjoy the last of your thirtieth year!

Adeline Michele said...

Oh, I was posting under Mike's account. The last comment was really from me (vanessa)

Dawn said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Sorry that I missed it. I was just getting home from the hospital with our new baby born on the 13! I am glad that it turned out being a great day for you. Hurray for Jane Austen. I love her books!

jennie said...

Oh! I'm so happy that you had a lovely day! LOVE YOU sista'!

Torrie Young said...

We're glad you had a great day. Maybe turning 30 isn't so bad after all! I loved the part about Max giving you a spider web. What a character. :) Love ya Birthday Girl!!

Vanessa said...

I don't know you. And I'm not quite sure how I got to your blog- well, you know- blog stalking. Anyway, I thought it quite interesting at the things we have in common. I'm turning 30 soon, my name is Vanessa and I have a boy and then a girl. I liked your post. I've been dreading turning 30, but you are right- I'm not going to gain 50 lbs overnight or age all of the sudden. However, it is nice to be in your 20's. I had a good guy friend tell me the other day that the 30's is THE PRIME age for women. So now I have my "Sex in the City" years to look forward to! Sorry about the long post!

AnnDee said...

Happy late B-day!! Seriously, you are a great looking 30 -- do you think it's just that we are all getting old, and thus our refernce is off? I hope not. your family is just as darling as you!

Will you send me your email? I tried to invite you to my blog, but I had the wrong address!! I'm finally getting around to the blog world again!! I'll be keeping tabs on you. I had so much fun seeing you last month. We'll have to get together again sooN! Buckaroos forever!

AnnDee

ReadingFamily said...

Hi guys, we just saw your blog. I love your family pictures they are so perfect. Take care.